Too much booze. Headaches. Stomach aches. Memory aches. Let's end them all. This simple recipe, based on nutrition science, is the perfect hangover cure.
Sometimes you drink too much. Other times, you drink way too much. This hangover smoothie might as well be called a hangover cure because it was designed for these moments.
Whether it was your choice in alcohol, your lack of hydration, or just that you happened to wake up with the most brutal hangover of your life, this drink mixes nutrition science with a little culinary skill to make your recovery taste (and feel) a lot better.
Stock up on these 8 ingredients, keep them handy, and your hangover recovery will be better than ever.
The Science of The Ultimate Hangover Cure
You can drink the healthy smoothie and not worry about why it works. But if you’re curious, here’s why the drink is better than your average hangover drink.
- Coconut water: Hangover recovery starts with hydration. Coconut water provides more that double the electrolytes as Gatorade.
- Kiwi: Contains the same amount of potassium as a banana, but with less sugar.
- Pear: Pears provide a good source of fiber and potassium.
- Celery: It might seem bland, but celery has anti-inflammatory properties, and it’s rich in vitamin K, folate, vitamin A, potassium, and vitamin C.
- Cucumber: Adds to your (much needed) hydration.
- Ginger: Science suggests it can help decrease nausea and motion sickness.
- Lemon: Helps with the flavor because you want to enjoy your drink.
- Himalayan sea salt: Restores lost trace minerals from all the boozing.
Yields: 1 smoothie
Cook time: 5 minutes
Difficulty: Very easy
- 1 cup coconut water, not from concentrate
- 1 peeled kiwi
- ½ pear or green apple
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 small chunk of fresh ginger
- ½ fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Add everything to a high-powered blender. Blend and pour over ice.